Monday, February 11, 2013

Review (#15): Legend by Marie Lu

Legend
by Marie Lu
5/5 Stars!!
What was once the western United States is now home to the Republic, a nation perpetually at war with its neighbors. Born into an elite family in one of the Republic’s wealthiest districts, fifteen-year-old June is a prodigy being groomed for success in the Republic’s highest military circles. Born into the slums, fifteen-year-old Day is the country’s most wanted criminal. But his motives may not be as malicious as they seem.

From very different worlds, June and Day have no reason to cross paths—until the day June’s brother, Metias, is murdered and Day becomes the prime suspect. Caught in the ultimate game of cat and mouse, Day is in a race for his family’s survival, while June seeks to avenge Metias’s death. But in a shocking turn of events, the two uncover the truth of what has really brought them together, and the sinister lengths their country will go to keep its secrets.

Full of nonstop action, suspense, and romance, this novel is sure to move readers as much as it thrills.

_________________________________________________________________________________
"Every day means a new twenty-four hours.  Each day means everything's possible again. You live in the moment, you die in the moment, you take it all one day at a time" - Day, Legend by Marie Lu

I have really got to stop judging books by their covers.  I admit, that is my downfall when I come to books.  Honestly, by the cover of this book, I probably would of never picked it up.  I was at the library the one day and saw it there, and I was like, heck, I might as well give it a try.  And thank goodness I did.

Lu packed so much action into Legend that my hear was constantly racing.  June and Day are such kick ass main characters.  I know the world they live in isn't that great but I would love to be able to be like them.  Day is denoted as a "criminal" but when you really see things through his eyes, you see that he's not that bad.  He's never tried to kill anyone and is such a sweet and caring person.  June was honestly hard to read at first.  She first came off as an unruly teenager that did things for attention but we got to see a lot more of her than that.

I love the dual point of view, seeing through both June and Day's eyes.  We got to see a whole lot more and I feel as if I really connected with both of them, not just one or the other.  We could feel the way that June really analyzed things, surveying details, and looking at outcomes that could come from her actions.  We also get to see into why Day is doing what he is doing.

Lu is great at providing details and I really could envision this Republic that they are living in.  From the poor sectors to the rich sectors, I could perfectly envision what everything looked like from the details. We can also really see how messed up this Republic is and what they are doing to their people.

This novel from Marie Lu is incredible and I would honestly recommend it to anyone.  I could not put it down and it kept me turning the pages.  There was so much action packed into these 305 pages, that never for a moment, was I bored.


No comments:

Post a Comment